General Vocabulary Sites
- Word Parts
- Common Word Roots
- Word Roots and Prefixes
- Exercise 3: Guessing the meaning of unfamiliar words from their roots -John Jay College.. SAT Prep: A vocabulary oriented site that students use to prepare for the vocabulary section of the new SAT exam. The site is also useful for anyone that would like to improve their English vocabulary.
- Vocabulary Building- Helps build a vocabulary that is adequate for reading and self-expression.
- Word of the Day (NY Times)
- Academic Word List Site: The 570 words on the Academic Word List are valuable for all students preparing for academic study.
- Using English for Academic Purposes A Guide for Students in Higher Education Site topics include the following: General Service List Academic Word List, Specific vocabulary for use in Academic Areas Less-frequently Used Words, Vocabulary Building Skills, and Vocabulary Learning Techniques.
- Vocabulary Exercises for the Academic Word List: This site contains gap-fill exercises to review word families contained within the AWL.
- The Internet TESL Journal's TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/EFL/ESOL Links: Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language.
- PowerPoint Presentation on Spelling Rules
- Online Textbook : Ch. 14 Some Rules and Suggestions About Spelling
- Commonly Confused Words: Provides definitions and contextual examples.
- Common Errors: Sometimes entertaining with clear explanations and examples.
Play a vocabulary game, and for each word you get right, 20 grains of rice is donated to the United Nations World Food Program.
- Type in words you want to know how to pronounce.
- Vote on other people's pronunciations.
- Longman Vocabulary Website
- Vocabulary University